Sunday, April 3, 2011

Woman in Mathematics

Hello, and welcome to my blog! My name is Maci, and this is my first blogging experience. I am currently enrolled in a history of mathematics course, at the college I attend, and my assignment is to create a  blog describing famous historical women mathematicians. In order to better understand the significance of this subject, background information is needed. So here we go!

Background Info Self:

I am Maci, and I am currently enrolled in a bachelor of arts teaching program, and in one in a half years, I hope to have this bachelor degree in my hands. I am excellent at mathematics, and I have been my entire life. Math for me was always one of those kind of things that just came easy. However, I am not the type of person who is able to sit behind a desk and compute solutions to problems all day. So, I decided I would push my desire for mathematics onto other people, and work towards become a secondary education math teacher. To my surprise, I'm pretty good at it, but I've never had my own classroom, my own students, or my own rules, so I'm sure the students I've helped are desperate to learn, love learning math, or just well behaved. Think back to high school, and I am sure you can remember that math teacher that negatively impacted your attitude towards mathematics. Whether it be in 7th grade pre-algebra, 10th grade geometry, or 12th grade calculus, there was a teacher who made you dislike math, even for a short period of time. I remember in 10th grade, I had a geometry teacher who would teach by putting us into groups, and by the end of the year, about 70% of the class hated math. Most days I wanted to get up and teach the class, just so other students would stop complaining. This is my inspiration. I want to be that math teacher, that changes students minds from hating mathematics, to understanding, tolerating, and maybe even loving it.

Background into Women:

Women in society are still placed on a downgrade to men. Factories hire women like minorities, and once they have met the federal guidelines for diversity, women do not get hired anymore. It's a trend that has been happening for decades. However, women have seen a rise in honor, and more women are taking over men's powerful positions. Hilliary Clinton ran for the primary candidate in the past presidential election. Twenty years ago, women did not run for president. I am not a feminist, but I believe in equality, especially in intelligence. Gender does not make a person smarter or dumber compared to the opposite gender. Historically, women were not allowed to study mathematics, and if they did, they knew a mathematician through their family ties. Women were to do housework, and men were allowed to study, and educate themselves. Why? In today's time we see that women are just as intelligent as men. If women were allowed to study in the 1700s like men did, our society could be farther along in math, science, and medicine. Diseases could be cured, but women minds were not allowed to be challenged. I feel sympathy towards these women. On my part, I would like to recognize eight women mathematicians in this blog, proving that women are no better or worse than men, but just as intelligent.

1 comment:

  1. Maci--good job here in looking at how the need for math has spread into so many facets of our lives.

    Also, it is a good thing that more women teach math and are involved in this discipline. It has been a good thing that more women design cars these days. We have gotten better, more user-friendly vehicles as a result.

    ReplyDelete